• + 30 24273 50100
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Previous Next

User Rating: 4 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Inactive

The city of Skiathos is the only built-up area of the island. It is built on the southeastern tip of the island in a windless bay which separates the island of Bourtzi in two.

It is a relatively new settlement, built in 1829 - 1830 on the site of the ancient city, on two hills situated at the edge of the sea. The ancient settlement was built in 800 BC.

The large natural port of the modern city is ideal in shape and in location. This has been a basic element in regulating the life on the island both in the old and in the modern times.

IMG 20160812 135825 HDR

The large natural port of the modern city is ideal in shape and in location. This has been a basic element in regulating the life on the island both in the old and in the modern times.

In the modern city of Skiathos, the houses are small and simple, with two floors in their majority and built amphitheatrically one next to the other. The streets are narrow without any typical planning apart from few parts in the city.

 


Previous Next

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

Around the middle of the 14th century, because of the continuous pirate raids, the people of Skiathos were forced to set up their city in Kastro, a peninsula on the northern part of the Island, which was a natural fortress. In order to strengthen this fortress they surrounded it with walls full of embrasures and cannons tumed to the land. These were very strong and tall.

Communication between the fortress and the land was done by means of a wooden mobile bridge, which joined the fortress gate with the hill that faced it. In case of emergency it was pulled towards the inside part of Kastro and as a result it did not allow enemies to enter. On top of the external gate there was a terrace with the essential "zematistra", (a skillet full of hot water to scald intruders).

From the time it was built until 1453, Kastro was under Byzantine rule. Later, until 1538 it was under Venetian rule and until 1821 it was under Turkish rule. For a small period around 1660, Kastro went again under Venetian rule. Throughout these years the life of the people was very difficult and at times even hellish since apart from the continuous pirate raids and the aspiring conquerors, the people had to face the problem of limited space in the inside of the castle fortress.

Therefore, the houses were small and built very close to each other. Despite this, in Kastro there were more than twenty churches, a mosque without a minaret from the time of the Turkish accupation, and the required water tanks. The Cametary was located outside the city.

 

kastro1c kastro1b kastro_air KASTRO5
 

Ever since Kastro was abandoned, in 1830, and with the establishment of the independent Hellenic State, it was left on its own devices. As a result, nowadays only two churches have been saved (Gennisi tou Christou (Christ's Birth) and Agios Nikolaos). There is also the church of Panagia Preklas which is half ruined. We can see today a part of the wall with the gate, the marvellous terrace with the "zematistra", the half-ruined mosque and some ruins of the Turkish headquarters.

There are also two tanks and the cannon of Anagia which have been saved.
Definitely Kastro is the most important site of Skiathos, since it combines the wild and imposing natural beauty with history. Together they narrate other times in a melancholy way, through the ruins.


Previous Next

User Rating: 4 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Inactive

Bourtzi is a small peninsula which separates the port of Skiathos in two. In the past it was a fort, which was established by the Gizi brothers who occupied Skiathos in 1207. It was surrounded by walls battlements and embrasures and on the left and right of the gate there were two round towers.

It is not possible to determine the height of the walls by the present ruins. Moreover, in the fort there was a tank and a small church called Agios Georgios, protector of the Venetians, probably built by the Gizi brothers. Because of that church, Bourtzi was also called "Kastelli tou Agiou Georgiou - Castle of St. George". The fort was destroyed in 1660 when the admiral Fransesco Morozini occupied the island.

bourtzi1

In 1823 though the ruined embrasures, the island inhabitans - both Skiathans and refugees - managed to repulse Topal - pasha. After the liberation, the first lazaret of the island operated in Bourtzi. In 1906 a primary school was built in the centre of the peninsula, donated by Andreas Syngros. In the entrance of that school since 1925 there has been the bust of Alexandros Papadiamantis.

Nowadays, Bourtzi is really a rare recreation place. It is full of pine trees, always with fresh, cool air and with a magnificent view. There are few ruins of the old fort and we can see, on the left and right of the street leading to the entrance of the old school, the sites of the church of Agios Georgios and of the fort tank.

bourtzi2

The old primary school has been converted into a picturesque cultural centre, with the initiative of the present municipal authorities. In it, there are practical conference rooms in good taste and a faboulous summer theatre which hosts successful theatrical and musical performances every summer.

Moreover, in Bourtzi there is a municipal cafe where special nights are held. These fit in with the ambience of the small, full of green peninsula.

bourtzi3

 


User Rating: 3 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
Department Telephone Fax Email

City Hall of Skiathos
Nikotsara 12
T.K. 37002  Skiathos

+ 30 24270 22022    
+ 30 24270 22240    
+ 30 24270 23713 + 30 24270 23295 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mayor Office + 30 24270 23000 + 30 24270 23150 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Corporation of Skiathos
"Anaptixiaki Skiathou"

+ 30 24270 23702 + 30 24270 23841  
Cultural department + 30 24270 23718 + 30 24270 23841  
Museum  Alex. Papadiamantis' House + 30 24270 23843    
Δ.Ε.Υ.Α. Skiathos + 30 24270 21398 + 30 24270 21166  
 
Police + 30 24270 21111    
Touristic Police + 30 24270 23172    
Port Authority + 30 24270 22017    
       
Health Center + 30 24270 22222    
Surgery General Practicien + 30 24270 29011    
Dentist + 30 24270 21401    
  + 30 24270 22384    
  + 30 24270 23130    
  + 30 24270 24300    
Traumatologic/Orthopedic Clinic + 30 24270 29185    
Cardiologist +30  24270 29200    
Microbiologist + 30 24270 22917    
Pediatrician + 30 24270 21500    
Pharmacy + 30 24270 22988    
  + 30 24270 21230    
  + 30 24270 22666    
  + 30 24270 24090    
 
Customs + 30 24270 22510    
Forest Inspection + 30 24270 22994    
Post Office + 30 24270 22011    
Air port + 30 24270 22049    
Fire Department + 30 24270 21199    
Hotels Union + 30 24270 23375    
Rented Rooms Union + 30 24270 22990    
 

Previous Next

User Rating: 2 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The house where Alexandros Papadiamantis was born on 4th March 1851 does not exist today. It was sold and the new owners put it down.
Papadiamantis grew up and died in the new house his father built in 1860, as it is said on a built-in inscription on one of its walls. This house is located about 100 metres inland from the eastern coast of the city, in a narrow street which is a dead-end. It could be said that it is a sidestreet of the present Papadiamanti street.

papadiamantis3

The smallest room on the right was in the begining a priest's room where Adamantios, Alexandros' father, kept his books and his vestments. Later it belonged to Alexandros and he used it as a bedroom and a study. It was absolutely like a monastery cell with a window, a built-in cupboard and his narrow and small bed. Right opposite the entrance, there is the living-room of the house with a coloured diamond-shaped design on the ceiling as the only decoration.

papadiamantis6

The house is generally a simple, austere island house. Today the old entrance of the house which is on the western side is closed. The entrance side and the visitors enter the house - museum through external wooden stairs.

papadiamantis7


Contact

City Hall of Skiathos
12 Nikotsara Str.
37002 Skiathos
tel: + 30 24273 50100
fax: + 30 24270 23295
email: dimos@n-skiathos.gr

Information & Services

 
 

 

 

Developed by Infodim
© 2016 Municipality of Skiathos